The Outdoor Education Service is a regional service operated by Conwy County Borough, Denbighshire County, Flintshire County and Wrexham Borough County Councils which provides:
- High quality Outdoor Education courses for schools, youth services, adult and other specialist groups delivered by a team of qualified and experienced outdoor instructors and teachers;
- A team of support staff who provide great food and a warm and comfortable base to return to after a day full of adventure;
- Advice and training in all matters relating to Outdoor Education, including school-based adventure activities;
- Council Educational Visits approval and monitoring service;
- Educational Visits Coordinator (EVC) training for schools and youth services.
The service runs 2 Outdoor Education Centres at Nant Bwlch yr Haearn and Pentrellyncymer. The Centres supply all specialist equipment and clothing for activities and provide fully catered residential accommodation as well as facilities for day visits and outreach activities.
Outdoor Education courses at Nant Bwlch yr Haearn and Pentrellyncymer are tailored to meet the needs of visiting groups and contribute directly to:
- personal and social development;
- key skills development;
- adventurous activity skill development;
- environmental understanding and appreciation;
- safety and health education.
Nant Bwlch yr Haearn Outdoor Education Centre
Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) licence number: L4707
Contact: Jenny Wilson, Head of Centre
Telephone: 01492 640735
Nant Bwlch yr Haearn is located high in the Gwydir forest, near Llanrwst, within the beautiful scenery of the Snowdonia National Park. The Centre is ideally positioned to access forests, lakes, rivers and mountains for a range of exciting activities including gorge walking, climbing, mountain walking, orienteering, canoeing and kayaking.
Pentrellyncymer Outdoor Education Centre
Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) licence number: L4622
Contact: Dave Watkin Jones, Head of Centre
Telephone: 01490 420266
Pentrellyncymer is located in an area of outstanding natural beauty close to Llyn Brenig and the Alwen Reservoir. It is ideally placed for a range of environmental and adventurous activities including forest school/bushcraft activities, mountain biking, walking, orienteering and canoeing.
Outdoor Education and Educational Visits Advisory Service
Contact: Owen Hayward, Head of Outdoor Education Service email@example.com
Telephone: 01492 640735
The Head of Outdoor Education Service acts as the Outdoor Education Adviser for the four partner Councils (Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham) and fulfils the Council's responsibility, as set out in the All Wales Educational Visits guidance, to provide an advisory, approval, monitoring and support service for educational visits organised by any Council-run educational establishment.