Skip to [main navigation | secondary navigation | content]
Contact us | Privacy and Cookies | Cymraeg


Residential and Nursing Care

Eligibility criteria for residential or nursing home placements.

The information on this page is here to assist you in making a decision on whether you meet the requirements to enter a residential or nursing home.

In certain circumstances, help may be available from social services to meet the cost of any stay in a home. In order to be eligible for this a person must meet the Social Services eligibility criteria.

Assessing your needs

a) If you need financial support from Social Services

An assessment of your needs will be carried out with you and with others involved in your care. Social Services will also arrange for a financial assessment to ascertain whether your finances meet our criteria for financial assessment. Social Services will explore with you whether your needs can be met whilst staying in your own home or whether residential or nursing home care is the best way of supporting you.

b) If you are able to meet the full costs

If your capital is over £24,000 there will be an expectation that you fund your placement yourself. If this is the situation then you are entirely free to choose to enter a home which meets your needs whenever you wish. Even if you are meeting the costs yourself, you are still entitled to an assessment from Social Services and they will help you to choose a home which best suits your needs.

Eligibility for Residential care

People will be eligible for residential care if they meet the following criteria and if this is a cost effective way of meeting their needs:

  • People are assessed as having substantial or critical care needs and they cannot care for themselves or keep safe without help from others. This includes people who need assistance with personal care tasks, e.g., washing and dressing that are necessary for a reasonable level of safety and comfort.
  • This also includes people who are suffering from mental health problems and who have problems such as wandering or short term memory loss, but who don't require nursing home care. There are residential homes who specialize in caring for older people with a mental illness.
  • Any health care needs can be met by community health services.

Nursing home care

A nursing home will provide 24 hour nursing care. People will be eligible for nursing home care if they meet the following criteria and if this is a cost effective way of meeting their needs:

  • If a person has critical or substantial needs and they require nursing care that cannot be planned for by the Community Nursing Service or they require continual nursing supervision due to chronic health problems.
  • This would also include people suffering from mental health problems and who have increasing difficulties that require 24 hour nursing care.
  • All nursing home placements made by Social Services must have the support of a named health professional and be approved by the Local Health Board. If a person is deemed eligible for nursing care and has the approval of the Local Health Board they will receive support for the nursing element of the care provided.

A more detailed description of the Eligibility Criteria for Residential and Nursing Home Care is available from Social Services.

If you are funding the placement yourself

If you have capital worth over £24,000 you will usually be asked to pay the full cost of your care. If or when your capital falls below this level then you can approach Social Services for assistance with funding. You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance (AA) whilst you are paying the full cost.

If you own your home
The value of your property does not count for the first 12 weeks of your permanent placement. After 12 weeks the value of your home may be taken into account when calculating your capital.

When asked to contribute to the cost of your care you may need to sell your home, or find another way to meet the fees. If you need to sell your home you can decide when to put the property on the market. However, if you decide to postpone, then the benefits you are entitled to could be affected.

What happens when your home is for sale

Conwy Social Services Department may place a 'charge' on your property until your property is sold. Social Services would continue to contribute to your fees and recover what they have paid after the sale of your property.

What to expect

Residential and Nursing homes have to achieve and provide certain standards. Inspections are carried out by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate for Wales (CSSIW) to ensure these standards are maintained. Copies of inspection reports by the CSSIW are available from local libraries, the Social Services Department or direct from the CSSIW.

All regulated adult services will be inspected at least once a year.

National Health Service and the funding of long term nursing care

Where peoples needs are assessed as requiring nursing needs that outweigh the needs of social care needs then they may be eligible for funding of their placement via the Local Health Board. This is called Continuing Health Care. In these circumstances an assessment of your health care needs will be carried out with you and those involved in your care, e.g. doctor, nurse, therapists, social worker, etc. to decide if you are eligible. You can ask any of these professionals for further details.

If you have a complaint

All homes have to have a procedure for residents to make complaints.

The section "Complaints, comments and questions" describes the procedure for making complaints or representations to the Social Services Department. Leaflets are also available from all Social Services Offices and public libraries.

If you are paying for the care yourself, there are independent channels you can use if you have a complaint. You should contact the CSSIW or the North Wales Health Authority. 

For more information contact:

The Conwy Access Team

Phone: 0300 456 1111


See Also

  • Financial Assessment 12/01/2011

    If you have been assessed by Conwy as in need of help or care, whether at home or in a care home, you have the right to a financial assessment to determine whether the council will help towards the costs.

  • Paying for Services 16/09/2011

    We usually make a charge for services provided by Social Services. When we charge you, we will make sure that you can afford these charges. We do this by using a 'Financial Assessment'. We can also arrange Welfare Rights benefit check to make sure you are claiming everything you are entitled to.

How useful was this information?
Useful     Not sure     Not useful

Did you find what you were looking for?
Yes    Partly    No    Just browsing

How could we make this page or the site in general better?


Overall, how would you rate your satisfaction with our site today?
Satisfied     Not sure     Not satisfied

On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being poor and 5 being very good, how would you rate the following aspects of this site:
Usability – what is your experience of finding key information on this site?
1    2    3    4    5

Navigation – what is your experience of getting around the site?
1    2    3    4    5

Searching – how effective is the search at finding the information you want?
1    2    3    4    5

Design – what do you think about the general look and feel of the site?
1    2    3    4    5

Usefulness – how would you rate the information on this site in terms of its reliability and relevance?
1    2    3    4    5

Mapping – what is your experience of using maps on the site?
1    2    3    4    5

Would you like to make any other comments about the above areas or the site in general?


Was there a main service area that you were interested in today?

What was the main purpose of your visit to this site today?

Which of the following applies to you? (tick all that apply)
I live in this area
I work in this area
I work for the council
I am planning to visit this area
I am planning to move to this area
I am a local councillor
I am looking for information for myself
I am looking for information related to my work
I am looking for information on behalf of someone else

If you had not come to the website for the above, how would you prefer to contact the Council?

How likely are you to return to this website in the future?

How did you find out about this site?

In the last 6 months, approximately how many times have you visited this website?

Your post code


Age range


How would you describe your ethnic origin?

If your use of the internet is impeded by any of the following, please indicate how.
Vision impairment
Mobility difficulties
Cognitive or learning
Hearing impairment
None of these
Prefer not to say

Published: 16/09/2011    Last updated: 24/02/2015
See our RSS feeds
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Bookmark this page
Share this page

Contact details

Conwy County Borough Council,
Bodlondeb, Conwy,
North Wales, LL32 8DU.
Telephone: 01492 574000
Fax: 01492 574559
Comments, Compliments and Complaints


Accounting for what we do
Data Protection
Freedom of Information
Copyright and Disclaimers

Site info

Feedback about this site
RSS Feeds
Follow us on Twitter
Access Keys
Site Availability

Government sites

Welsh Government
National Assembly for Wales
North Wales Police
NHS Direct Wales
UK Parliament