How to Apply
An applicant must have held a full Driving Licence for not less than 12 months and must hold such a licence at the time of their application. In addition, before the Council can issue a Licence they must be satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person.
|Grant of Hackney Carriag Drivers Licence (Inc DVLA, DBS & Knowledge Test)
|Hackney Carriage Knowledge re-test
|DVLA Check (every 3 year after grant)
|DBS - Formally CRB (every 3 years after Grant)
|Class 2 Medical Certificate (every 5 years after grant until the age of 65 and then every year thereafter)
||Cost determined by Medical Practitioner
- Fully complete and sign a relevant application form.
- Provide a full DVLA photo card Driving Licence (held for at least 12 months) detailing your full, current postal address.
- Provide a completed and signed D.B.S application form. This form will have to be requested direct from the Licensing Office
- Provide a completed medical report form indicating your fitness to drive a licensed vehicle. The report must have the Doctors stamp endorsed on it.
- Provide Original EU passport *evidence you are entitled to work/reside in the EU/UKmindefinitely.
- Pass the Private Hire Driver test
The Council has the discretion to grant or refuse the licence. Some applications may be referred to the Council’s General Licensing and Regulation Committee for determination.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in writing within 14 days of the decision being taken.
Legislation and Conditions
Processing and Timescales
Once all paperwork received from applicant and outside agencies, and the Private Hire Knowledge Test has been passed. The licence can be granted on the same day.
The applicant would be able to appeal any decision by way of complaint to the Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of being notified of the Council’s decision.
You may make your application;
- In person: By appointment - offices are open 9.00am - 4.00pm Monday to Friday
Hackney Carriage Driver Grant Application
Hackney Carriage Driver Renewal Form
DBS & Criminal Convictions Policy
DVLA Driving Entitlement consent form
Example of Hackney Carriage Driver Test Hackney Carriage Byelaws
Hackney Carriage Fare Card
Medical Form A
Medical Form B
ID checking guidelines