How to Apply
Submit the relevant application form, with the vehicle meeting the vehicle Specification Policy. The correct insurance coverage must be obtained and examined by an authorised testing station.
Fees as of 1st April 2018
|Hackney Carriage (Motor/Horse|
|Change of Proprietor
|Transfer of Hackney
|Replacement Plate x1
|Replacement internal plate
- A hackney carriage licence is valid for a period of 12 months.
- All new vehicles must be fully accessible to wheelchair users and have the appropriate restraints and equipment to assist with entrance and egress.
- Under 5 years old
- Fully acquainted with the Council's conditions of licence and conditions relating to Vehicle Specifications.
- Have the correct insurance and the insurance certificate must accompany the application.
- The Vehicle to be examined by a Council Approved Testing Station, for what is called a Certificate of Compliance (COC) Test
- Supply an original copy of the Vehicles V5 certificate
The Council has the discretion to grant or refuse the licence
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in writing within 14 days of the decision being taken.
The Certificate of Compliance (COC) test will be of MOT standard plus additional checks. It must be carried out every six months, and as the Council applied for an exemption from the Ministry Of Transport, there is no need for the holder of a valid Hackney Vehicle Licence and COC, to have the vehicle tested separately for an MOT.
The test report should be completed and signed by the inspecting /mechanic engineer. This should then be returned to the Licensing Office.
Legislation and Conditions
Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions Act ) Act 1976
Processing and Timescales
Once fee has been paid and all the associated documentation is submitted to policy, the licence can take up to 28 days to be produced.
The applicant would be able to appeal any decision by way of complaint to the Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of being notified of the Council’s decision.
You may make your application:
In person: By appointment - offices are open 9.00am - 4.00pm Monday to Friday
By telephone: 01492 576626
By fax: 01492 574036
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org