Also, being a councillor enables you to gain political experience and useful skills you can put to use in other parts of your personal and professional life.
Am I eligible?
Elections for all electoral divisions of the County Borough of Conwy usually are held every four years. The next elections will be held in May, 2022 (5 years since the last election on this occasion).
You are a legally eligible candidate if:
- You are at least 18 years of age and
- You are on the electoral register for the area of Conwy County Borough and your home (for at least the last 12 months) is in the County OR
- You work in the County (and have done for the last 12 months) OR
- You own a property in the County (and have done for the last 12 months)
You would be disqualified as a candidate if:
- You are bankrupt, and have a Bankruptcy Restrictions Order (or interim Order) against you; or
- You have had a criminal conviction in the past five years for which you were sentenced to three months or more in prison or
- You work for Conwy County Borough Council (including teachers in Conwy CBC funded schools) or have a job which is politically restricted
Below, is a useful document that will enable you to gain a clearer picture of what's involved.
Want to be a County Borough Councillor