We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential maintenance work from 6pm on 7/12/17 will affect our internet services, including websites and e-mail.
Home Resident Recycling and Waste Policies and Waste and Recycling Guidelines

Recycling and Waste Policies and Guidelines

Summary (optional)
In this section, you can learn more about the policies and guidelines that shape Conwy’s recycling and waste services.
start content

No Side Waste and Closed Lid Policy

Collection crews will only collect refuse that is presented at the kerbside in a closed wheelie bin. Additional bags or items that are next to the wheelie bin or wheelie bins that are overflowing and the lid cannot fully close will not be collected.  

If you have additional waste or the lid on your wheelie bin will not fully close due to excessive waste, please take the waste to the Household Recycling Centres.

Second Bin Guidelines

In general, residents are allocated one wheelie bin per household, but there are certain instances in which a household can have a second wheelie bin.

If you have more than 6 people living in a household, you can apply for a second wheelie bin.

If there are fewer than 6 people living in the household or the children have stopped using nappies, the second bin will be removed.

Household Recycling Centre and Van Permit Policy

The Household Recycling Centres (HRC) in Mochdre and Abergele can be used by all Conwy residents to safely and conveniently dispose of household waste and recycling. 

To deter the unlawful use of the Household Recycling Centres by traders, a permit scheme has been set up to ensure that residents can use their own vehicles, works vehicles or hired vehicles to visit the HRCs and dispose of household waste and recycling.

If you own a van or commercial-type vehicle that is not sign-written, you can apply for a Domestic Van Permit, which can entitle you to 20 visits to the HRCs per year.  If you own a vehicle with sign writing or you have hired a vehicle, you can apply for a Single Use permit, which would you to one visit per permit and up to two permits per year.

Please see Van Permits for an application.

If you would like to contact us regarding waste and recycling policies and initiatives, please fill in the form.

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more