From 24 May to 18 July 2021, we held a public consultation on a draft Library and Information Strategy 2021-26.
There were 761 responses to the questionnaire survey. There was support from consultees for the following actions:
- Contribute to the delivery of the Conwy Culture Strategy through supporting an active programme of cultural activities.
- Continue the development of Conwy Culture Centre.
- Evaluate the Community Library model after five years in existence. Agree a sustainable model for the next 5 years in partnership with town and community councils.
- Continue to work in partnership with health and social care to explore the range of opportunities library spaces and resources provide to support mental health and wellbeing.
- Increase the use of technology to improve access to Council information services.
- Develop services for communities which are remote from Council services, through the use of the Mobile and Home Library.
The consultation asked for views on Participate in a feasibility study, identified as part of the master plan, for a Community Hub in the west end of Abergele.
There appears to be little knowledge locally about the proposals, with 41.5% responding that they ‘did not know’. This action will remain in the Strategy and we will advocate for public engagement to be undertaken as part of any feasibility study work.
The consultation also asked for views on, Bring Conwy Council customer facing services in Colwyn Bay together, by assessing the potential for relocating Colwyn Bay Library to Coed Pella.
There were 756 responses to this question and 74.9% of respondents did not support it. In view of the consultation feedback, the action was amended to, Undertake an options study for delivering a community hub at Colwyn Bay Library.
The study will look at the potential to deliver more services from the existing library building and increase access, both remotely and in person to a range of services to support skills, employability, digital inclusion and health and wellbeing.
We should like to thank all the people who responded. With the amends made following the public consultation, the Strategy was approved by Conwy’s Cabinet on 26th October, 2021.
The final version of the Conwy Library and Information Strategy 2021-2026 can be viewed at Library Policies - Conwy County Borough Council
The actions in the strategy will now be prioritised and detailed work will be undertaken on each action over the next 5 years.