About the scheme
What will the scheme do?
- Reduce the risk of flooding to the village
- Increase the capacity of the system by over 70%.
This will be achieved by:
- Increasing the size of existing culverts
- Widening river channels
- Removing obstacles in channels
The work involves:
- increasing the size of the culvert crossing the A544 at the north end of the village
- improving the river channel in Dalar Bach
- building new floodwalls in Dalar Bach at the carpark through to Llain Hiraethog inlet
- improving the channel in front of Llain Hiraethog
- replacing the culvert from the Llain Hiraethog channel down Ffordd Gogor and connecting back into the Afon Bach at Uwch yr Aled
The work will also include:
- Diverting BT cables, the Welsh Water foul sewer and water mains
- Creating a seating area at Llain Hiraethog
- Removing weir structures at three locations to help fish migration
- Installing baffles along the channel bed to give resting points for migrating fish
- Installing vegetated retaining wall to improve biodiversity
- Creating two new communal areas along the A544
- 85% funded by Welsh Government
- 15% funded by Conwy County Borough Council
Design phase: completed 31 May 2021
Construction tender phase: June 2021
Work starts: February 2022
Road Closure Dates and Locations
- Footpath and carpark between Maes Creiniog and Ffordd Gogor for 12 weeks, from Monday 9 May to Wednesday 20 July (expected date).
- A544, North of the village for 3 days, from Sunday 12 June to Wednesday 15 June.
- Ffordd Gogor for 12 weeks, from Wednesday 20 July to Wednesday 12th October (expected date).
- North end of Ffordd Gogor and A544 for 4.5 weeks from Monday 26 September to Saturday 29 October (expected date).
For regular updates visit MWT’s project website: www.mwtcivilengineeringltd.co.uk
If you have questions, please contact:
MWT’s Public Liaison Officer Lauren Thomas
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01492 338280
The Council’s Environment, Roads & Facilities advice team
Email: email@example.com or call 01492 575337