3. Background To The Proposal
3.1 Pupil numbers
The Foundation Phase resource provision has operated for the majority of the 2021-22 academic year at capacity [7 learners]. The need for the provision in the Foundation Phase is under increased demand in line with other provision in Conwy for social and emotional behavioural difficulties. The 2021-22 academic year has seen increased pressure across all Conwy schools as a result of post pandemic pressures on children and young people. The resource provision provides both specialist education placements and advice and guidance bespoke to the Foundation phase across all Conwy schools.
3.2 Current Local Authority Provision
The Foundation Phase resource provision sits within Social Inclusion Service continuum for supporting learners with social and emotional behavioural difficulties. The Local Authority has already established the following designated support and provision for children with social and emotional behavioural difficulties:
Canolfan Addysg Conwy: Pupil Referral Unit
- Provides specialist education setting for learners in Key Stage 2, 3 and 4 on shared and full-time packages based around individual learner needs. Canolfan Addysg Conwy is portfolio Pupil Referral Unit which means it has three separate sites registered to ‘Canolfan Addysg Conwy’. The provision offers following number of spaces for learners:
- Key Stage 2: 17 places
- Key Stage 3: 28 places
- Key Stage 4: 49 places
Canolfan Addysg Conwy: Home Tuition
- Provides tuition to learners whose health needs mean they are unable to access their current education provision due to an illness that will extend over 4 weeks which is confirmed by the learners overseeing medical practitioner.
Nurture in Conwy Outreach Service
- Foundation Phase and Key Stage 2 outreach service provides schools with support and advice, programmes of intervention to support inclusion of learners within school settings.
Canolfan Addysg Nant Y Bryniau
- Conwy hosts education provision for Tier 4 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service [CAMHS] in patients for North Wales Local Authorities. Entrance criteria for provision are set by Health colleagues.
We would like to continue to ensure that the Foundation Phase resource continues to be part of the provision provided by Social Inclusion Service to cover all Key Stages.
3.3 Pupil number forecasts
We anticipate that the provision at Foundation Phase will continue to be in demand for 2022-23 academic year and onwards in line with requests for provision for social and emotional behavioural needs in other Key Stages.
The provision has run at capacity for majority on 2021-22 academic year, and supported learners within mainstream settings with specific programmes of work and intervention. We would envisage this way of working akin to the service provided by Canolfan Addysg Conwy for Key Stage 2, 3 and 4 to continue in order provide a balance between specialist placement and advice to be available for all learners in Conwy.