A person falls within this definition of dog breeding establishment if, during any 12 month period, five or more litters are born to his / her bitches which are:
- Kept by that person at any premises during any period of 12 months
- Kept by any relative of that person at those premises
- Kept by any other individual under a breeding arrangement with that person
Dogs kept at any premises in relation to the Animal Health Act 1981 are exempt from this particular licensing requirement.
List of Dog Breeding Establishments in the County of Conwy
|Plasau, Ty Nant
How to apply
Download an application form for operating a dog breeding establishment.
The application form should be accompanied by the relevant fee.
The duration of the licence is for one year, effective from either the day stated on the application form or the day the licence is granted, whichever is the later.
If this is your first application for a licence, then your premises will be inspected by a veterinary surgeon and a local authority officer. For subsequent applications, the inspection is usually undertaken by the local authority officer.
- When considering whether or not to grant a licence for a dog breeding establishment, this authority must have regard to the need for securing.
- That the dogs are in suitable accommodation as regarding size, number of occupants, construction, temperature, lighting, ventilation, cleanliness and exercising facilities.
- That the dogs have an adequate supply of food, drink and bedding material and have sufficient exercise also that they are visited at suitable intervals.
- That there are adequate precautions being taken to prevent and control the spread of infection or contagious disease among the dogs.
- That appropriate steps are taken for the protection of dogs in case of fire or other emergency.
- That all appropriate steps are taken to safeguard the welfare of the dogs when being transported from or to the breeding establishment.
In addition to the above, the applicant must also comply with the following mandatory requirements aimed at safeguarding the health and welfare of the dog(s):
- The number of litters a bitch is allowed to have in her lifetime is restricted to six.
- That no more than one litter may be born to each bitch in any 12 month period.
- Bitches may not be mated if they are under one year old.
- Keep accurate records available to local authority inspectors / vets to include such details as:
- name, date of birth, address kept of each breeding bitch
- breed, description, date of mating and details of site
- record of any litters, sex, date of birth, total number in litter
Detailed guidance on the breeding establishment legislation written by the British Veterinary Association is available. See details below:
Guidance and Model Conditions for Local Authorities and their authorised officers and veterinary inspectors for the licensing of dog breeding establishments.
Published by McMillan Scott,
6 Bourne Enterprise Centre
Phone: (01732) 8844023
Planning permission may be required to operate a dog breeding establishment. For further details contact us or telephone (01492) 575283.
Application for licence to keep dog breeding establishment
Licence Conditions and Guidance for Dog Breeders