We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Wednesday 10th July

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance through the day which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Housing Housing Improvements Disabled Adaptations

Disabled Adaptations

Summary (optional)
If you have a disability an adaptation is an alteration or piece of equipment, which makes it easier and safer for you to stay in your home. Adaptations vary according to the needs of the person, and range from a simple grab rail to help with getting in and out of the bath, to adding extra space in the home.
start content

What is a Disabled Facilities Adaptation?

  • Adaptations vary according to the needs of the person, and range from a simple grab rail to help with getting in and out of the bath, to adding extra space in the home (but only where this extra space is needed to meet the needs of a member of your household who has a disability).
  • In many cases, the Council can help eligible householders with the cost of an adaptation, but only when the need has been agreed by an Occupational Therapist.

What is a Disabled Adaptation Facilities Grant?

  • Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a type of financial assistance used to help with adapting the home. Some types of DFG are mandatory and are covered by legislation set out in the Housing Grants, Regeneration and Construction Act 1996.
  • The Welsh Assembly Government has set a limit for mandatory DFG of £36,000. This is the maximum amount of grant that can be awarded, but it may be reduced in circumstances where the applicant is expected to contribute towards the cost of the work.
  • It is sometimes necessary for other adaptation work to be carried out which is not covered by the legislation. Policies vary from one Council area to another, but in Conwy, the Discretionary Disabled Facilities Assistance is used to pay for items which are considered necessary to ensure that the adaptation fully meets the needs of the person with disabilities.

DFG can be awarded for a wide range of adaptations including the following typical examples:

  • Fitting stair-lifts and hoists to ensure that a person with disabilities can use both floors in their home
  • Bathroom adaptations
  • Ramps and handrails inside and out improving access to and from the home
  • Making changes to kitchens to ensure a person with disabilities can cook and prepare food
  • Improving or providing a heating system in the home

Here are some typical examples of works which can be paid for using Discretionary Disabled Facilities Assistance inside the home:

  • Adaptations to provide necessary treatment facilities
  • Adaptations to allow a person with disabilities to be able to work from home
  • Storage for a wheelchair

To find out more or to make an application please contact Single Point of Access.

Who can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant / DDFIA?

You can apply for Disabled Facilities Grant if you are:

  • A homeowner
  • A tenant renting from a private landlord
  • A resident of a park home
  • Living on a houseboat

Different funding arrangements can apply to Housing Association tenants. If you are a Housing Association tenant, please contact your landlord for further information.

Do you have to pay anything towards the cost of the Adaptation?

  • By law, everyone who applies for Disabled Facilities Grant must undergo a financial assessment. This is used to work out how much (if anything) the applicant has to pay towards the cost of the works.
  • If the adaptation is for a child with disabilities there will be no financial assessment, and the Council will pay for any adaptation works which are considered needed.

How does the Disabled Facilities Grant process work?

  • If you are having problems getting into, out of, or around your home, you should contact the Single Point of Access.
  • They will ask you a number of questions and decide whether you should be referred to the Occupational Therapy Service.
  • An Occupational Therapist will visit you at home to discuss your situation in more detail. In particular they will want to know about the nature of your condition, the physical problems you have, and information about the needs of any family and carers you may have.
  • Where your needs can be met by a simple piece of equipment being provided (for example, a walking frame or special bath seat), the Occupational Therapy service will aim to provide that as soon as possible.
  • If your needs cannot be met by such a piece of equipment, the Occupational Therapist will contact the Housing Improvements Team, and a joint visit to your home will be arranged. The Housing Improvements staff will complete a means test (a financial assessment) to calculate your contribution (if anything) you will be asked to pay towards the adaptation costs.
  • If you do decide to go ahead, the Improvements officer will draw up a schedule of works and get estimates for doing the work.
  • Once this has been done, the grant can be approved, and where appropriate the adaptation work can begin.
  • The Improvements Officer will supervise the work until it is completed to your satisfaction.
  • Once the adaptation works have been completed we will send you a Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire which will help us to monitor the quality of the service we provide.

Council Tax

  • If you are disabled and your home has been adapted, you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax. For more information please contact the Council Tax department.

Data Protection

  • We will keep confidential any information which you give us. You have the right to see the information we hold about you.

You can get more information about the adaptations process from:

Housing Improvements
Coed Pella
Conway Road
Colwyn Bay
LL29 7AZ
Phone: 01492 577314 or 01492 574174
Email: hsg.financial.assistance@conwy.gov.uk

Enhanced System for Delivering Home Adaptations (PDF, 279Kb)

Disabled Parking Bays

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more