We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Housing Tenancy Hardship Grant

Tenancy Hardship Grant

Summary (optional)
start content

The Tenancy Hardship Grant is a Welsh Government backed grant to support tenants who have gone into rent arrears as a result of a loss of income due to COVID-19.

The scheme is now open for applications. 


To apply for a Tenancy Hardship Grant, you must have had financial hardship due to the Covid-19 pandemic that meant that you have not been able to pay your rent. 

You will:

  • have built up rent arrears between 1st March 2020 and 31 December 2021.
  • have struggled to pay your rent due to Covid-19
  • live in and hold a tenancy for a private or social sector property in Wales
  • not have been getting housing benefit or housing cost payments through Universal Credit when you built up your rent arrears
  • not have been able to fully pay your rent during the period when you went into arrears because of Covid-19.

You will not be able to get a Tenancy Hardship Grant if you have not experienced financial hardship during Covid-19 and deliberately not paid your rent to your landlord or agent.

What you will need to make an application:

When you apply you will need to complete an application form and provide evidence to help the local authority to make a decision on whether to award you with a grant.

You may need:

  • proof of ID (a driving licence or a passport or a birth certificate with household bills that prove your address for the last three months)
  • a copy of your bank statements for at least the past two months (including any saving accounts you have)
  • a copy of your tenancy agreement or other proof of tenancy
  • evidence and explanation that you have not been able to pay your rent because of Covid-19 – which will include a review of your finances

We may ask you for other information or evidence to help to support your application for grant.  Providing this quickly, will help us to process your application.

After you submit your application:

Your details will be checked and you will be contacted about your application. You will be expected to provide information on your income, how you have been affected by the pandemic, and how this has affected your ability to pay your rent.

It is helpful to let your landlord or agent know that you are applying for a grant, as we will also contact your landlord or agent who will be asked to provide a written statement confirming that you are a tenant of theirs and that you are in rent arrears and by how much.

We will then let you know whether your application has been approved or not. You may also be contacted if you need to provide more information.

If your application is approved:

If your application is approved your grant will be paid to the landlord on your behalf.

This grant will not need to be paid back.

If your application is not approved:

Your application will be refused if you do not meet the eligibility criteria or have not provided the evidence needed to take forward your application.

Making an application:

To apply, complete the online form (see below).

If you received a loan through the Tenancy Saver Loan scheme:

If you received a loan through a Credit Union, through the Tenancy Saver Loan scheme, you will be contacted by your Credit Union. Your loan will be repaid by a grant through the scheme.

Getting other help:

If you are in rent arrears, you should:

  • speak to your landlord to discuss your arrears and how they can be repaid or
  • get advice and support on your arrears from Shelter Cymru or Citizen’s Advice Cymru.
  • see if you are able to apply for existing support, including a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are in receipt of housing benefit or housing costs of a Universal Credit claim

We would urge you to do this before you apply to the scheme.

If you are being threatened with eviction:

A landlord usually cannot legally make you leave your home without a court order.  Please see our housing pages for further advice: Information for Private Tenants (conwy.gov.uk)

If you are at threat of eviction and at risk of homelessness, you should contact Housing Solutions as soon as possible. 

The scheme is now open for applications. Please click below to apply: 


In this section

Drag side panels here (optional)
end content