As a foster carer you will need to:
- Be able to provide a good standard of care to other people’s children to promote their health, education and leisure interests
- Be able to listen and communicate with children / young people in a way that is appropriate for their age and understanding
- Be willing to learn new skills
- Be able to help the child / young person keep in contact with their family, friends and local community activities as appropriate
- Be able to put boundaries in place in order to manage behaviour in an effective and positive way to enable children / young people to grow up to be responsible and well balanced adults
- Have energy and motivation to remain committed to a child / young person through more challenging times
- Ability to work with and understand the role of all the professionals involved in the child / young person’s life
Some questions that you should ask yourself:
- Do you have patience, understanding and a sense of humour?
- Are you warm and nurturing?
- Are you non judgemental and anti-discriminatory in your outlook?
- Are you a resilient person and able to cope with the extremes of emotions you will experience and the response they will demand of you?
- Are you a good listener?
- Can you communicate openly and honestly?
- Can you be flexible but also capable of setting clear boundaries?
- Can you express views both verbally and in written form?
- Would you welcome guidance and support?
Request an Information Pack today
Are you wishing to transfer from another Fostering Agency?