Pre requisites for attending the course - Effective recording and report writing.
|14th & 15th September 2021
||9:30am - 4:30pm
||Targeted Services – All services
Target Group - Children’s Social Workers in first three years of practice or those requiring a refresher in Family Court procedures.
Course aims and objectives:
Understand the expectations from the court and the lawyers from a social worker’s statement
Be able to produce statements & reports that are court-compliant and that can withstand the rigours of cross-examination
- Identifying the issues to be addressed in your statement/ report
- How to apply a structured approach to the preparation and drafting of a court statement & care plan
- Expressing a fair and balanced view which is child focussed to justify and support your conclusion
- Relying on supporting information /evidence to support your case
- Developing an objective and critical eye in relation to your statement/report
- Insulating yourself against cross-examination
- Compliance with procedural requirements
- To provide social workers with the opportunity to develop their court skills and confidence.
- How the court process works
- To examine the different roles of those within the courtroom understanding who does what, when, why and how
- How to present well as a witness in court e.g. forms of address in the different courts, procedures adopted in court and the personal preparation for attending court
- How to give evidence confidently in court e.g. process and practice, methods of presenting information, making sure evidence is understood and explaining your recommendation, accuracy and completeness of statements
- Responding well to questions from solicitors, preparing for cross examination
- Examine the anxieties and fears felt by professional witnesses in them.
For further information, or if you have booked a place on the course and have not received notification to attend please contact the Workforce Development & Learning Administrative Team. Please do not turn up to any course unless you have received notification of your place as the event may be fully booked.