Library Consultation Underway
The consultation on the draft Library and Information Strategy 2021-2026 starts today (24 May 2021).
The draft Library and Information Strategy sets out what needs to be done over the next five years to make sure Conwy’s Library and Information Service meets the needs of our communities.
Over recent years, it’s been a Council priority to develop libraries into community hubs that provide a wide range of services and activities. The Council’s previous strategy resulted in a new area library at Conwy Culture Centre, more varied library opening hours; mobile library routes in the areas most remote from library buildings; and the establishment of five community libraries.
The draft Library and Information Strategy 2021-26 includes a list of actions to be carried out over the next five years:
- Contribute to the delivery of the Conwy Culture Strategy through supporting an active programme of cultural activities.
- Participate in a feasibility study, identified as part of the master plan, for a Community Hub in the west end of Abergele.
- Bring Conwy Council customer facing services in Colwyn Bay together, by assessing the potential for relocating Colwyn Bay Library to Coed Pella.
- Continue the development of Conwy Culture Centre.
- Evaluate the Community Library model after five years in existence. Agree a sustainable model for the next 5 years in partnership with town and community councils.
- Continue to work in partnership with health and social care to explore the range of opportunities library spaces and resources provide to support mental health and wellbeing.
- Increase the use of technology to improve access to Council information services.
- Develop services for communities that are remote from Council services, by using the Mobile and Home Library.
The actions in the Strategy will be prioritised, and detailed work will be carried out on each proposal before any decisions are made.
Library users, partner organisations and interested parties are encouraged to get involved and share their views by taking part in the consultation.
The consultation starts on 24 May 2021 and will run until 18 July 2021.
How to get involved:
The questionnaire is available to complete online at: www.conwy.gov.uk/librarystrategy
Alternatively, to request a paper copy contact your local library or phone 01492 576139.
Posted on 24/05/2021