We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home News News items Vital Sea Defence Work Starts at Old Colwyn Prom

Vital Sea Defence Work Starts at Old Colwyn Prom


Summary (optional)
start content

Vital Sea Defence Work Starts at Old Colwyn Prom

Work will begin on coastal defences at Old Colwyn promenade on 24 May 2021, to strengthen the Victorian sea defences and protect the promenade from high tides and rough seas. The essential work means the promenade will be closed for up to 18 months.

The scheme, managed by Conwy County Borough Council, uses locally quarried rock to create rock armour to the height of the promenade. The new defences will run from Rotary Way to Splash Point (by Old Colwyn Arches), linking up with the rock armour defences installed at the eastern end last year. A new fishing platform and step access to the beach through the rocks are also included.

The major engineering works mean that the road, footpath and cycle route will be closed from Rotary Way to Splash Point (by Old Colwyn Arches). Pedestrians will be able to use the footpath on the railway embankment at the back of the promenade, while cyclists will be diverted along Min-y-Don Avenue.

The work is being funded by Welsh Government, with £6.075m from the Resilient Roads Fund and an additional £3m from the Local Transport Fund. The Council is continuing to look for funding for future phases of its £35m overall plan. These future phases would protect the promenade and sea defences along the stretch east from Porth Eirias, including raising the height of the promenade by 2 metres.

“This work focuses on the section of the promenade most at risk of collapse, which would be devastating for the important infrastructure it protects, including the A55 and the North Wales Coast rail line,” said Cllr Greg Robbins, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transportation. “We’re delighted to have received an extra £3m from Welsh Government and we’ll keep working on securing more funding for the whole scheme.”

Local councillor for Colwyn ward, Cllr Cheryl Carlisle said: “We’ve been fighting a long time to preserve Old Colwyn promenade for future generations. This is major work which will have long-lasting benefits to the community, and we thank the residents of Old Colwyn for putting their trust in us to secure the funding, and to finally deliver this vital project."

Cllr Brian Cossey who also represents Old Colwyn added: “If the seawall fails - and the risks of that have been increasing - it will take out main sewers, the railway line, and the A55. It would cause massive disruption for the residents of Old Colwyn, transport chaos and economic losses for Conwy and North Wales. I’m delighted this phase of the work is starting, but there’s still more to do.”

More information: Current work (conwy.gov.uk)

Posted on 19/05/2021

In this section

Drag side panels here (optional)
end content