An application/renewal for a pet shop licence costs £183 and can be paid online using the above link. Licences once issued are valid for 12 months and must be renewed before the expiry date.
Applicants must not have been disqualified from:
- Keeping a dog breeding establishment
- Keeping a pet shop
- Keeping a dog
- Keeping an animal establishment
- Having custody of animals
An applicant for a licence will need to consider whether planning permission is required for the proposed licensed activity. They should contact the planning department to discuss whether permission will be needed. The local authority may refuse or defer a decision on an application for a licence until the planning issue has been decided.
The following documents should also be submitted with your application:
- Site plan and layout plan
- Public Liability Insurance
Processing and Timescales
An inspection will be carried out by a local authority officer within 28 days of receipt of application. If you have not heard from us within this timescales please contact us.
Tacit consent does not apply so your application must be processed by the authority before it can be granted. No-one may run a pet shop without first obtaining a licence.
Legislation and Conditions
Applicants and licence holders must meet the requirements of the Pet Animals Act 1951 (legislation.gov.uk) and associated conditions.
Local Authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals and that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
Failed applications and appeals
If a licence is refused an appeal may be made to the magistrates court which may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions.
Report a problem
Any complaints or enquiries regarding a pet shop please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Pet Shop Licence Conditions
Pet Industry Federation Website