Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Births, marriages and deaths Marriage and Civil Partnerships Giving Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

Giving Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

Summary (optional)
start content
The following information relates to marriage or civil partnerships in England or Wales providing both parties:
  • are over the age of 18.
  • are British, EU or Swiss nationals.
  • usually reside in England or Wales.

If either party is a national from a country outside of the EU you will need to read the additional information for non EU nationals

If you are marrying in the Church of England or The Church of Wales by Banns or Common Licence, you should contact your Vicar regarding the necessary legal preliminaries.

Why do we have to give Notice of Marriage?

A Superintendent Registrar and Registrar, or an Authorised Person, need to be present at all marriages, except those at a church belonging to the Church of Wales. It is therefore important that you make sure the Registrars are available before you confirm any other arrangements.

What is giving Notice of Marriage?

For all weddings (except Church of Wales weddings), each of the parties to a marriage must give notice personally of their intention to marry.

You and your partner must attend an appointment at a register office and show the required documents. The notice is a legal document which must be signed by the person giving notice. You cannot ask a friend or relative to do this for you.

Your notice must state the venue for your ceremony, so make sure that you can give the registrar the name and address of the venue. If you change your mind after the appointment, you will have to give and pay for a fresh notice.

If you are having your ceremony at Llandudno Town Hall, you should inform the registrar taking your notice of the name of the room that your ceremony venue is i.e. Ystafell Tudno Room or Conwy Suite or Assembly Hall. It should not be recorded as "Conwy Register Office".

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days notice at your local register office. Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.

You can give notice at a register office up to 12 months before the ceremony date but no later than 28 days before the ceremony date.

How do we give Notice of Marriage?

You must both give notice at the Register Office in the Registration District where you have lived for the last full seven days immediately prior to giving the notice, regardless of where you intend to marry.

If you are coming to this country for the purpose of getting married or forming a civil partnership, your seven day residency will start the day after your arrival. For example, if you arrive on 1 January, the seven day period starts the following day, 2 January, and is complete on 8 January. You can then give notice on 9 January.

How much does it cost to give Notice of Marriage?

Please see our Fees page for information.

What information do we have to give to the Register Office?

When you give Notice of Marriage, you will need to give proof of:

  • your name
  • your age
  • your nationality
  • confirmation of your address 
  • Current and valid passports for the first three points.

You might need other documents if you don't have a valid passport and you were born after 1983 - check with the office.

For confirmation of your address we need:

  • valid UK or EEA driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last month
  • council tax bill from the last 12 months
  • mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • current tenancy agreement
  • letter from your landlord confirming you live there and including      your landlord's name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days

You may need other original documents depending on your circumstances, for example:

If either of you has been married before, either in this country or abroad, you need to show formal and original documentary proof that you are free to marry. Photocopied documents are not acceptable.

If you have been divorced in England or Wales we need to see a court stamped copy of the decree absolute.

If you have been divorced in a foreign country we need to see the original documents issued by that country. If those documents are in a foreign language we need to see an English translation. If the other country has issued no documents we will tell you what we can accept as proof of a divorce.

If either of you is widowed we need to see a certified copy of your late partner's death certificate.

If either of you is under 18 years of age we need see proof that your parents or guardian agree to the marriage. If your parents are divorced we may also need to see the court order that gives custody to one of them. The Superintendent Registrar will advise you when you make your appointment when you attend the office.

If you have changed your name you will need to produce a change of name by Deed Poll certificate.

What happens once we have given Notice of Marriage?

The Superintendent Registrar will issue a 'Marriage Authority' 28 clear days after both parties have given a Notice of Marriage. The marriage authority is only valid for twelve months from the date on which you give Notice.


end content