Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Health and Safety Asbestos in the home

Asbestos in the home

Summary (optional)
Asbestos may be part of any commercial or domestic building which was built or refurbished before the year 2000. Asbestos can typically still be found in any of the following:
start content
  • asbestos cement products (pipes, flues, roofs etc)
  • lagging (on pipes and boilers etc)
  • water tanks and toilet cisterns
  • asbestos insulating board (AIB – which closely resembles typical plasterboard)
  • loose asbestos in ceiling and wall cavities
  • sprayed coatings on ceilings, walls and beams / columns
  • textured decorative coatings (commonly referred to as Artex)
  • floor tiles
  • textiles and composites

I think I have asbestos in my home what should I do?

Do not try to repair or remove any asbestos materials yourself if you have not had any training for non-licensed asbestos work. Instead you should seek the advice of a specialist asbestos contractor.

If you are sure (or strongly suspect) that your home contains asbestos materials then it is often best to leave them where they are – especially if they are in good condition and unlikely to get damaged. You should check the condition of the materials from time to time to make sure they haven't been damaged or started to deteriorate.

Slightly damaged asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) can sometimes be repaired by sealing or enclosing them. However, you should only attempt to do this if you have had the necessary training. Any badly-damaged asbestos material that is likely to become further damaged should be removed if it cannot be protected. Some materials (sprayed asbestos coatings, asbestos lagging / insulation or asbestos insulating board) should only be removed by a contractor licensed by HSE.

If you are planning any DIY home improvements, repairs or maintenance – and intend to bring in any additional builders, maintenance workers or contractors – you should inform them of any asbestos materials in your home before they start work. This will help reduce the risks of any ACMs being disturbed.

HSE strongly encourages the use of trained professionals to repair or remove ACMs. If you choose to carry out DIY repairs or remove damaged asbestos materials yourself, make sure you wear the right protective equipment and follow safe working methods. For advice on doing this, see: Asbestos essentials task sheets.

How do I dispose of any asbestos containing materials?

Please be aware that ACMs need to be legally disposed of as hazardous waste. This should not be mixed with normal household waste.

Conwy County Borough Council has special facilities at the following centres where you can use to dispose of it:


Mochdre Recycling Centre, Bron-y-Nant Road, Mochdre, Colwyn Bay, LL28 4YL
Abergele Recycling Centre, Old Gofer Site, Rhuddlan Road, St George, Abergele, LL22 9SE

You must phone the site in advance to ensure someone is available to accept the material 01492 575337.

If you wish to take asbestos to the Recycling Centre, it must be double-bagged using heavy duty bags, such as builders' bags, and fully sealed without any gaps.  Anyone bringing unbagged asbestos will be refused entry to the sites.

Householders requiring to dispose of larger sheets / quantities of asbestos should contact a specialist contractor.

end content