In the interest of public health and safety Mochdre Office is closed to the public. We’re sorry we cannot offer this service at the moment.
Home composting benefits your garden and your environment, and it's easy and fun!
Composting is nature’s way of recycling. Composted kitchen and garden waste is a great alternative to expensive artificial fertilisers and peat.
Home-made compost saves you money, improves your garden’s soil and saves water by helping the soil hold moisture.
Garden bonfires pollute and create a nuisance - composting stops the need for burning.
Composting is the easiest way to recycle your waste. You can do it at home and involve all the family!
How does it work?
- Collect all your suitable kitchen and garden waste regularly (aim for half ‘green’ and half ‘brown’)
- Chop materials to less than 15cm (6 inches)
- Put it in your compost bin on bare soil
- Put an old piece of carpet on the top to keep the warmth in
- Turn over the composter contents regularly
- Wait for the mini beasts (from tiny organisms to worms) to break down the waste and make your free supply of compost!
What goes in the compost bin?
- Vegetable peelings
- Fruit skins and cores
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Crushed egg shells
- Animal waste from herbivores (such as rabbits, hamsters or horses)
- Grass cuttings
- Natural fabrics such as wool and hair
- Vacuum dust
Brown (dry and old)
- Kitchen roll and shredded paper
- Straw, hay and sawdust
- Egg boxes and toilet roll tubes
- Prunings and twigs
What shouldn’t go in the compost bin?
- Used paper tissues
- Meat, fish or dairy
- Animal waste from carnivores (such as dogs or cats)
- Left-over cooked food
- Glossy magazines
- Diseased plants
- Roots of perennial weeds (such as dandelions)
- Disposable nappies
Buy a compost bin - £18
You can buy a compost bin from us for just £18.
These strong and rigid composters are fitted with an extra wide door for easy access to your finished compost.
- 330 litre capacity
- 100 cm high
- 80 cm diameter
- Maximum of 2 bins per household.
You can pay for your compost bin by credit or debit card, or cash.
They are available to collect from our Mochdre offices on: