The garden waste collection service is run by Bryson Recycling. You can contact Bryson on 01492 555898 or visit https://www.brysonrecycling.org/wales/english
Garden waste collection service
It costs £40 for 12 months including one 240l wheelie bin delivered to your door. You can get extra bins (maximum of 3) at a cost of £20 each.
- Regular fortnightly collection
- Easy to use wheelie bin – no more heavy bags
- No need to visit the recycling centre
- One-off payment of £40 a year - costs just £3.33 a month
How do I sign up for a subscription?
You can sign up online at www.brysonrecycling.org/gardenwaste or phone 01492 555898.
Who is providing this service?
This service is managed by Bryson Recycling for the Council.
Can I sign up at any time?
Subscriptions start in April – you can sign up at any time during the year, but you will be charged the full 12 month subscription cost.
How many full bags can fit in the new 240l bin?
The bags are 120l, so the new bin will take the equivalent of 2 old garden waste bags. Many householders only put out one or two bags for collection, and wouldn’t need more than one bin.
Can I get more than one garden waste bin?
Yes - you can add up to 3 extra bins to your subscription for £20 each, including collection.
I don’t have space for a garden waste bin – can I use the old green sacks instead?
Most households will have space for a garden waste bin, which is the easiest way to recycle. If your property isn’t suitable for a bin, please contact Bryson on 01492 555898.
Can I pay for a one-off collection?
No - we are only offering a subscription.
What can go in my garden waste?
The kerbside garden waste collection is for:
- Grass cuttings
- Small plants and twigs
- Non-invasive weeds
What we don't collect:
- Large branches
- Compost bags, pots or other rubbish
- Animal waste
- Garden furniture or tools
- Invasive weeds such as Japanese Knotweed or Giant Hogweed that cannot be composted by law. If you need advice on dealing with invasive plants, please click here for guidance issued by Welsh Government.
I don’t have enough garden waste to pay for a subscription. What else can I do with my garden waste? Can I get a discount?
We can’t offer discounts. But there are other ways to dispose of your garden waste:
- Use a Household Recycling Centre (open 7 days a week between 9am and 4pm). There is no charge for this service.
- Use the free Saturday morning Mobile Recycling Centre, open 9am to 11am:
- Cerrigydrudion - 1st Saturday of the month
- Llanrwst - 2nd Saturday of the month
- Llangernyw - 3rd Saturday of the month
- Use a home composter
- Shred your garden waste to use as mulch
- Share a garden waste bin subscription with a neighbour
What happens if I move house during my subscription?
If you move to another address in Conwy county, you can move your subscription with you if you let us know. If you move out of Conwy county, the subscription will stay with the property.
What if I need an assisted collection?
If you don’t have anyone to help you, you can ask for an assisted collection if you have difficulty moving your bin to the kerbside on collection day.
Why are you charging for garden waste? Doesn’t my council tax pay for that?
Councils are not obliged to provide free garden waste collections for households. The law says we can make a reasonable charge to collect household garden waste, in the same way that we charge for bulky waste collections. But we do have a duty to dispose of garden waste free of charge, so this will continue to be free at our Household Recycling Centres.
Do other Councils charge for garden waste collections?
Yes, including Gwynedd, Denbighshire and Flintshire.
What should I do with the old green sacks?
You can use the old green sacks for moving your garden waste or for storage.
Won’t these charges encourage fly-tipping?
Most residents are law abiding and would never fly tip their waste. Before we introduced garden waste collections in 2007, we didn’t have particular problems with fly-tipped garden waste. There is no evidence from other councils that fly tipping increases with a paid for garden waste collection service.