How to Apply
Comply with the Street Trading Policy 2022
Applications must apply in writing to the Council using the relevant application form which must include:
- Details of all streets or streets you wish to trade on
- The type of goods being sold
- The days and times you wish to trade and the goods or articles you intend to sell.
- The type of vehicle/kiosk being used for the sale of the goods.
- You will also be over 17 years of age and required to provide two photographs of yourself, and any assistants
Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:
- There is not enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
- You are unsuitable to hold a licence for any reason made known to the Council
- You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading consent
- If the application refers to a prohibited street
- Any other reasonable reason
Prime Fixed Site Fees
Standard Site Fees
- Fixed Consent (annual): £990
Commercial / Travelling Market Fees
- One Day: £100
- Subsequent days (maximum of 3 days): £100
Special Occasion / Seasonal Fees
- Per Day: £40
- Trader / assistant or Replacement ID: £32
- Replacement Consent / Licence (paper): £25
- Pre-application Check: £35 (no guarantee of consent being given)
- Pre-application Advice: £50 for 1 hour (including pre-application check)
- Replacement Vehicle Plate: £38 (including bracket)
The council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.
The Council will consult if necessary with any agency or organisation it may deem suitable.
The notice will be served if the council intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.
The notice will detail the grounds for their decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.
Legislation and Conditions
Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982
Processing and Timescales
Each application is taken on their own merit and the permit will be produced once approved.
There is no right of appeal against a decision to refuse Street Trading Consent. However, the decision or procedure followed by the Council may be open to an application to Judicial Review.
- By Phone: 01492 576626
Monday to Friday 10.00am to 12:30pm
- By post:
PO Box 1