We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Housing Benefit

Summary (optional)
Housing Benefit is available to people on a low income who are renting their homes to help them to afford to pay the rent.
start content

Universal Credit Full Service now applies for WORKING AGE residents living in Conwy County Borough for NEW claims and certain changes in circumstances.

You will not be able to make a NEW claim for HOUSING BENEFIT if you are WORKING AGE apart from in very specific circumstances.

Help towards your rent will be through Universal Credit, which must be claimed through the Department for Work and Pensions.

For more details please see www.conwy.gov.uk/universalcredit or telephone the Benefit Office on 01492 576491.

If you are liable to pay Council Tax at the property you live in, you will need to apply for Council Tax Reduction .

Can I claim?

To apply for Housing Benefit you must:

  • Normally live at the property you are applying for
  • Be liable to pay rent for the property

And either be :

  • Pension Age
  • In Supported/Exempt Accommodation
  • In receipt of a Severe Disability Premium

People with over £16,000 in savings will not normally qualify for any benefit unless you are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit.

This is not an exhaustive list, for further details please visit GOV.UK for more information.

How do you work it out?

Each year the Government gives us guideline figures showing the amount people should have to meet their basic needs. These figures vary depending on your circumstances. The amount of benefit may be reduced if there are other adults living in the household.

If you think that you could qualify for Housing Benefit you will need to apply online, or visit one of our Benefit Area Offices.

How much can be awarded?

Every privately rented property has a Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. The maximum amount of benefit you can get is 100% of the LHA rate, and you would normally get this amount if you were on Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (Income based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income related).

Number of RoomsNorth Clwyd
Shared accommodation
(From April 2019)
1 bedroom £80.00
2 bedroom £103.56
3 bedroom £123.58
4 bedroom £149.59

LHA rates calculator

Backdated claims

If you think you have 'good cause' for a late claim please make sure that you fill in an application form for the period in question. The maximum period we can consider is 1 month.

Still not sure if you qualify? Don't miss out, make a claim. To make a backdated claim, you will need to apply online or by visiting our offices.

If your circumstances change

Any change in your circumstances could affect your claim. If you don’t update us in time, you could miss out or have to pay money back. Please use the appropriate form below to inform us of the change in your circumstances.

If you require a paper form or assistance completing any of the above forms you can visit any of our Benefit Offices in Conwy County, or email: benefits@conwy.gov.uk or telephone 01492 576491.

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more