We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Benefits and grants Welfare Rights Could the Welfare Rights team help you?

Could the Welfare Rights team help you?

Summary (optional)
We can help with questions and problems on a wide range of welfare benefit issues.
start content

We work with some of the most vulnerable people in our community, providing free, confidential and impartial advice and support on a whole range of welfare benefits.

How can we help?

If you or someone you know needs advice on a benefit issue, we can:

  • Give you information on what benefits you might be entitled to and how to claim them;
  • Check that you are getting the right amount of benefit;
  • Advise you on what will happen if your circumstances change;
  • Give advice on how to ask for a reconsideration of a decision, or appeal against it.

Did you know?

  • If you and your partner are receiving a disability benefit (e.g. pip, DLA or attendance allowance), you could qualify for up to £200.60 EXTRA money per week.
  • If you are on guaranteed pension credit you SHOULD NOT be paying ANY council tax.
  • If you have a severe mental impairment (e.g. dementia, Alzheimer’s, brain injury etc.) confirmed by your GP, you can qualify for disability benefit and then will be exempt from council tax.
  • If you are away from your home providing care for someone due to illness, you can get an exemption on your property for council tax purposes for the time you are away.
  • If you have moved your bed downstairs due to a permanent disability you may qualify for a reduction in your council tax.
  • If you are on 24-hour oxygen you may qualify for a reduction in your council tax.
  • If you suffer with medical conditions requiring you to use extra water for bathing or washing (e.g. Crohns disease, eczema, psoriasis, incontinence) you can apply for a discount in your water bill.
  • If you have arrears of water rates of more than £150, and are on a low income, you may be eligible for the Customer Assistance Fund, which clears your outstanding debt if you stick to regular payments for current usage.
  • If you are on a means-tested benefit it may be possible to get a Warm Home Discount, which is a credit of £140 applied to your electricity account or meter.
  • If you have 3 of more children, you can qualify for a discount in your water bill.
  • If you have a mental impairment for whatever reason, you can apply for a blue badge to park in disabled spaces.
  • If you know someone who has no money for gas/electricity, you can apply for a same-day £25 credit for them.
  • Disability Benefits such as Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments are NON MEANS TESTED

Need more information?

Contact the Welfare Rights team on 01492 576605 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more