Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Chaperoning Children Working in Entertainment

Summary (optional)
start content

A chaperone, also known as a matron, is someone who is licensed by a local authority to look after children who are working in entertainment. They make certain that the child does not work too many hours without proper breaks, education is provided in certain circumstances, and that the child's safety, comfort and welfare are always taken care of.

When is a chaperone needed?

School-age children, up to and including Year 11, who are taking part in or rehearsing for a public performance must by law be accompanied by a registered chaperone if the child cannot be accompanied by their parents or carer.

These performances include any television, theatre, film or amateur performance as well as sporting activities or modelling.

Children involved in any performance, whether it is a village hall pantomime or a long running broadcast performance, will always need to be accompanied by a registered chaperone. Similarly, if the performance runs longer than three days the child will need a child performance licence. 

To register as a chaperone, you will need to apply online to the local authority where you live, not where the performance is taking place. You will need an enhanced level of check from the Disclosure and Barring Service - GOV.UK ( and you will need to have completed safeguarding children training. Conwy County Borough Council recommend the Protecting children in entertainment training for chaperones | NSPCC Learning

What do I need to do next?

Please apply on the link below.



For further advice contact:

Education Social Work
Education Services
PO Box 1
LL30 9GN

Phone: 01492 575031


end content