Infectious diseases are caused by micro-organisms such as bacteria or viruses. People can become infected through:
- Eating contaminated food. Visit the NHS Choices website for more information.
- Drinking contaminated water
- Breathing contaminated air
- Contact with an infected person
- Contact with contaminated surfaces
- Contact with animals
- Participating in some leisure activities e.g. swimming in the sea or in lakes
- Workplace environments
- Equipment (e.g. unsafe tattooing practices).
Where you work
If you work in the food industry, care sector or attend a school or nursery you have a duty to report your illness to your employer or person in charge.