Essential maintenance work from 6pm on 7/12/17 will affect our internet services, including websites and e-mail.

About Universal Credit

Summary (optional)
About Universal Credit is a new benefit designed to support people of working age who are on a low income or out of work.
start content

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income Related Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit will not replace Child Benefit. Find out more about Child Benefit here:

Universal Credit is different to other benefits:

  • It will be paid in a single monthly payment into your Bank, Building Society or Credit Union account
  • There are no limits on how many hours a week you can work if you're claiming Universal Credit.

Help with Housing Costs:

  • Any help you get with your rent will be included in your Universal Credit payment
  • You will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord
  • In some circumstances requests can be made for payments to be made directly to the landlord

When will I claim Universal Credit?

Currently, in Conwy County, only single people of working age, who have recently become unemployed, can claim Universal Credit.

To claim Universal Credit you must:

  • Be of working age and fit for work
  • Have no children
  • Not be waiting to hear about a claim, or an appeal, for Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, housing benefit

For more information please visit Universal Credit.

Budgeting and Managing your Money

  • Universal Credit will be paid monthly, in arrears
  • It can take several weeks after you make your claim to get your first payment

If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment or need further support with budgeting, please contact us.

If you need financial help before your UC payment is due and you meet certain conditions set by the DWP, you can ask for an advanced payment. Please note that if you receive an advanced payment, your future payments will be reduced to pay for this advance.

If you would like to apply for an advanced payment you will need to contact the Job Centre.

Further Support and information

If you are currently claiming benefits and you want to know how Universal Credit might affect you in the future, use the Universal Credit calculator.

If you think you may struggle to manage your money on Universal Credit, you can contact us to arrange a free money advice session. contact us or talk to your work coach at the Jobcentre and ask them to refer you for Personal Budgeting Support.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit and have a query regarding your claim, or wish to report a change in your circumstances please contact Universal Credit.

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more