The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011
The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 requires businesses to ensure that no person under the age of 18 years:
- uses a sunbed;
- is offered the use of a sunbed, or
- is present in a restricted zone
Failure to comply with the Act is a criminal offence and a penalty of up to £20,000 may be applied.
Further controls were introduced by the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011 which took effect from 31st October 2011:
- requirement for the supervision of sunbed use on all sunbed businesses
- prohibition of the sale or hire of sunbeds to under 18s
- extension of the requirements of the regulations to businesses that operate from domestic premises
- prescribed format and content of the health information that is to be displayed and made available to adults who may seek to use a sunbed
- prohibition of the provision or display of any material relating to health effects of sunbed use, other than material containing the health information prescribed by the regulations, and
- requirement for the provision and wearing of safe and appropriate protective eyewear for adults.
Further information on sunbeds and the legislation: