Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Free School / College Transport

Summary (optional)
Free transport may be given, depending on how far the walk is and any additional needs that may apply.
start content

Who would qualify?

If your child is of statutory school age and attending full education, or if they are in post 16 education and under 19 on the 1st September of the academic year, they could qualify for free transport when attending their nearest suitable school or college and live at least:

  • 2 miles from the school if they’re under 11
  • 3 miles from the school/college if they’re over 11 years of age

How to apply

If you think your child may qualify for home to school transport, please use the online form below:

What is concessionary travel?

We can sell spare seats on a school bus to parents of children who don’t receive free transport. This is called concessionary travel.

Supporting documents

Transport for Learners – Frequently Asked Questions

What happens after I’ve sent in my application?
Education Services will send you a letter telling you if your child qualifies. You will then receive another letter from the Home to School Transport Arrangements Team with the details. Should you have any queries about these details, please contact the Home to School Transport Arrangements section by by calling 01492 577899.
When will I receive my travel pass?
Once Education Services have confirmed that your child qualifies, the Home to School Transport Arrangements Team will then process your travel pass within 10 working days. The travel pass will be sent via second class post to your home address along with the relevant bus timetable. This pass will be valid for the duration of your child's compulsory education.

Should you have any queries about the arrangements please contact the Home to School Transport Arrangements section by e-mailing by calling 01492 577899.
How do I apply for school transport when we’ve changed address or School?
If your child currently qualifies for transport but has changed address or changed school, you must notify us of the new details immediately. You can do this be completing a new transport form, by e-mailing or by calling 01492 575595.
My child currently has school transport. How do I renew this for the next school year?
If your child qualifies for school transport and is moving to the next school year at the same school, we will automatically update your details. Providing your home address has not changed we will continue to make the necessary travel arrangements.
Travel Passes - Secondary Schools & Colleges
In order to ensure that sufficient capacity is provided Conwy County Borough Council enforce a strict no pass, no travel policy on all school buses. Every pupil will be expected to present a valid bus pass to the driver. Any pupil unable to present a pass will be refused access to the bus. There will be no grace period at the start of the new academic year and no pass, no travel will be enforced from the first day back to school.
How can I order a replacement travel pass?
If your child's travel pass has been lost or damaged it must be replaced immediately. There is a £5.00 charge to replace each card. You can order a replacement by asking at your child's school reception or by contacting the Home to School Transport Arrangements section by e-mailing or by calling 01492 577899. The replacement pass will be posted to your home address following payment.
I wish to make a complaint about the bus or taxi service my child uses in order to travel to and from school
Please notify the Council whenever there is a problem so that they can follow up the complaint immediately. To submit a complaint please contact the Home to School Transport Arrangements section by e-mailing or by calling 01492 577899.
How do you measure the distance?
The distance is measured from the child's home to the nearest school gate by the shortest available walking route. The distance is measured using a computerised mapping system.
My child has been refused free school transport; I would like to appeal against this decision. How do I do this?
Any appeal must be made in writing and addressed to:

Head of Education Services
Conwy County Borough Council
Education Services
PO Box 1
LL30 9GN

You may also forward your request by emailing: stating your reasons for the appeal and providing any relevant documentation to support your case.

Contact us: 01492 575595 /

end content