The Wales Coast Path is closed for safety reasons at Llanfairfechan seafront, from Beach Cottages to Glan-y-Mor Elias nature reserve.
Fancy walking the coast of Wales? Or just a part of it?
Coastal Defence Improvements at Llanfairfechan
You can now walk the whole coast of Wales (870 miles/ 1400 km) from the outskirts of Chester in the north to Chepstow in the south or just do sections, the choice is yours….For more info visit the official Wales Coast Path website.
If you fancy something a little shorter in the County of Conwy you could look at the circular routes just off the Wales Coast Path at Pensychnant, Penmaenmawr, Llanfairfechan Upland Walk, and Llanfairfechan Walks.
We also have the older North Wales Path which runs from Bangor to Prestatyn. This overlaps the Wales Coast Path but where it separates and goes in land above Llanddulas and Conwy to Llanfairfechan it creates some nice alternative circular routes. (see map download below).
The Wales Coast path and North Wales Path also links to Offas Dyke Path in Prestatyn so you could walk all around Wales using these two paths and the Wales Coast Path. A recent addition to the paths across North Wales is the Pilgrims' Way which starts from Basingwerk to Bardsey Island. It overlaps with the Wales Coast Path above Conwy and Penmaenmawr.
What kind of walk is it?
- Terrain: variable from uneven uplands to flat and surfaced promenades
- Distance: The whole route is about 870 miles / 1400 kilometres in total length, although it is easy to plan a shorter walk utilising part of the route
- Dogs: Dogs should be kept on a lead
- Refreshments: Available in local shops and pubs
- Walk grading: Easy, moderate and strenuous depending on location, distance and terrain of the walk you choose
- Map: If you want to purchase a map that covers this route, you will need the Explorer OL17 (west), and Explorer 264 (east). You can visit the Ordnance Survey website for more information or to purchase your map, or alternatively, these maps are widely available to purchase on the high street. There is a map to download below but we always suggest you take an OS map with you too.
How do I get there?