Fancy a long distance walk across North Wales? The North Wales Path runs from Prestatyn in the east to Bangor in the west and is approx. 60 miles / 97 kilometres long. The more recent Wales Coast Path overlaps in many places. Where the two routes separate the North Wales Path takes you on some scenic inland paths above Llanddulas and on the uplands of Conwy and Llanfairfechan towards Bangor.
If you fancy something a little shorter you could look at the circular routes just off the Wales Coast Path and North Wales Path at Pensychnant, Penmaenmawr, Llanfairfechan Upland Walk, and Llanfairfechan Walks. The North Wales Path also links to Offas Dyke Path in Prestatyn so you could walk all around Wales using these two paths and the Wales Coast Path.
A recent addition to the paths across North Wales is the Pilgrims' Way which starts from Basingwerk to Bardsey Island. It overlaps with the North Wales Path above Conwy and Penmaenmawr.
What kind of walk is it?
- Terrain: variable from uneven uplands to flat and surfaced promenades
- Distance: The route is about 60 miles / 97 kilometres in total length, although it is easy to plan a shorter walk utilising part of the route
- Dogs: Dogs should be kept on a lead
- Refreshments: Available in local shops and pubs
- Walk grading: easy, moderate and strenuous depending on location, distance and terrain of the walk you choose
- Map: If you want to purchase a map that covers this route, you will need the Explorer OL17 (west), and Explorer 264 (east). You can visit the Ordnance Survey website for more information or to purchase your map, or alternatively, these maps are widely available to purchase on the high street.There is a map to download below but we always suggest you take an OS map with you too.
How do I get there?
- By train: Phone: 0845 7484950. www.nationalrail.co.uk
- By bus: Phone: Traveline Cymru 0871 200 22 33. www.travelinecymru.info
- By car: Follow the A55 across North Wales. There are a number of car parks along the route. Please note that parking charges may apply in some of the car parks. For information on pay and display car parks please visit our parking section. There are other car parks along the route, some of which are detailed in the route card below.