The Active Travel (Wales) Act 2013 requires the Council to promote and improve Active Travel routes and facilities.
We have to make sure that new road schemes (including road and pavement improvement schemes) consider the needs of walkers and cyclists.
We must also prepare maps showing current and possible future routes for Active Travel.
We have produced maps of existing routes and considered future routes.
Towns and villages in Conwy that meet the Welsh Government’s requirements of Active Travel Areas are:
- Abergele and Pensarn
- Colwyn Bay
- Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
- Old Colwyn
- Towyn and Kinmel Bay
This list is based on population size and is given to us by Welsh Government.
Get in touch:
If you have any feedback on existing routes or if you want to propose a new route or link, please contact us:
Have Your Say – Conwy Active Travel – Commonplace
By email: email@example.com
We have been working to a timetable put in place by the Active Travel Act:
- Winter 2015/2016 Consulted with the public on producing maps of existing routes
- January 2016 Submitted the existing route maps (ERM) to Welsh Government.
- August 2016 Given ministerial approval for our existing route mapping.
- Autumn 2016 Consulted with the public on integrated network map (INM) and possible new routes.
- September 2017 Submitted the integrated network map (INM) and resubmitted the existing route map (ERM) to Welsh Government.
- December 2020 Resubmitted the existing route map (ERM) and the integrated network map (INM) to Welsh Government.
We have to submit our existing route map and integrated network map regularly to Welsh Government for their approval. This allows the Welsh Government to monitor our progress on providing Active Travel friendly routes.
Active travel: design guidance