What is the assisted collection service?
We can arrange an assisted collection for residents who have difficulty in moving their containers and bins to the kerbside on collection day.
This means that collection operatives will collect your recycling and waste containers from a location on your property which we have agreed with you and put them back. Collection operatives will not go inside your property and they will not sort your recycling items for you.
If you need help sorting items inside your home, please speak with a friend, family member or your carer, care worker or social worker.
Who can apply for an assisted collection?
You can apply for an assisted collection if you are physically unable to move your containers and:
- You have nobody else (a relative, friend, neighbour or carer) who can help you get your containers to the kerbside on collection day
- You have a suitable collection location for your containers that our crews can reasonably be expected to reach
- You agree to separate your items correctly for recycling
How can I apply?
You can either submit an online application form or you can download it, and send your completed form back to us by email or post (details are on the form). When we get your application an officer may contact you to discuss it and arrange an assessment.
If you have a garden waste subscription with Bryson, please contact them directly to arrange an assisted collection for your brown bin.
You can contact Bryson on 01492 555898 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can ask for:
- A temporary assisted collection - for example if you’ve been injured or had surgery (such as a hip or knee replacement) and you can’t move your containers or bins at the moment, but you expect to make a full recovery.
You can ask for a temporary assisted collection for a set period of 3, 6 or 12 months.
- A permanent assisted collection – if you need help moving your containers and your circumstances are unlikely to change
Please note that we reserve the right to write to you every two years to ask you to confirm if you still need the service. If you don’t reply, your containers may be missed on your collection day.
Please do not apply if:
- You have somebody else such as a family member, friend, carer or care worker who can move your containers to the kerbside for you.
- You don’t have a genuine reason for applying. The assisted collection service is for people who have genuine difficulty in physically moving their containers and bin.
- If you’re going on holiday or you work away a lot. Ask a family member, friend or neighbour to put your containers out for you on your collection day.
- If you live somewhere windy, please see here for advice/guidance for recycling in poor weather, or fill in our online form to discuss your concerns.
Assisted Collection Leaflet and Application (PDF)