If you live in a household with 6 or more permanent occupants, we will consider a request for a second bin, if you are recycling all you can. Please see the How to Apply section below.
If there are fewer than 6 people in your household but you are struggling for bin space, please contact us. We will arrange for a recycling officer to visit you, who can recommend you for a second bin if it is needed.
If you live in a flat or shared building and you think you need more recycling or waste bins, please contact us.
What’s filling up your refuse bin?
Plastic, cans, paper, food - order extra recycling and food waste containers
Nappies or incontinence products – sign up for a weekly collection
None of these, my refuse bin only has non-recyclable items in it (plastic bags and wrappers, plastic film, crisp packets, animal waste, polystyrene and vacuum cleaner dust).
How to apply
If you are recycling all you can but still need extra wheelie bin space, you will need to give us evidence of a minimum of 6 permanent residents in your household when you apply.
You can apply online, by email to email@example.com or post an application to:
Environment, Roads & Facilities
PO Box 1
What to include with your application
- Your full name and address
- Why you need a second bin
- Proof of occupancy for at least 6 members of your household, attached as clear scans or photographs. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS.
Proof of occupancy can be:
- A recent* Council Tax Bill
- A recent* utility bill or bank statement
- A recent* DWP or Tax Credit letter (such as Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit)
- NHS Medical Card
- Driver’s Licence
- NHS Medical Card
- A recent* Child Tax Credit letter
- Child Savings Account statement or bank statement
- Birth Certificate (Under 16s only)**
- Passport (Under 16s only)**
*Recent documents must be less than 6 months old
** We will only accept a birth certificate or passport for a dependent (child under 16) if you do not have any other document showing their address. We will not accept passports or birth certificates as proof of occupancy for adults.
IMPORTANT: If your application is successful, you will need to update us every 2 years to let us know if you want to keep your second bin. If you do not let us know, we will remove your second bin without notice.
We have the right to remove your second bin at any time and we do not have to give you notice. We will take away your second bin for reasons such as:
- You are putting recycling in your wheelie bins
- You have not put out your second bin for collection for a number of weeks
- you are using your bin illegally to get rid of business waste
- you have not updated us to let us know if you still need your second bin after 2 years
If you have any questions about our Second Bin Policy or the application process, please contact us.