Most household items can be taken free of charge to one of our Household Recycling Centres.
How much does it cost?
We offer all households in Conwy one free collection of one bulky waste item per year. We can collect five additional items at the same time, at £5.00 per item. To claim your free collection, phone our Customer advice team on 01492 575337. This free collection is not available to book on our online form.
Collections cost £25.00 for up to six items. When you book a collection you must have a list of all the items you want collecting – you can book a maximum of 6 items.Any items you don’t mention when you book will not be collected.
You can only book one collection per calendar month, to allow as many people as possible to use this service.
We define a ‘bulky item’ as something which can be lifted by two collection operatives without using any lifting equipment.
Examples of items you can book for collection:
- Furniture such as sofas, chairs, tables, wardrobes
- White goods such as fridges, freezers, tumble driers, washing machines
- Large electrical goods such as televisions, lawnmowers, computers or other items that will not fit into your pink Crest bag for kerbside collection
- Beds – please note that headboards, bed frames and mattresses are counted as separate items
Some very large items count as two items. These include:
- American-style fridge freezers
- corner sofas
- range cookers
Examples of items that we will not collect:
- DIY or demolition waste such as rubble, bricks, plasterboard
- Items or materials from DIY projects such as bathroom suites, kitchen cupboards, windows or doors.
If you have this type of item to get rid of, you can take them to a Household Recycling Centre (a charge applies), hire a skip, or ask your tradesperson to take them away.
- General household recycling or general waste that we collect as part of your regular household collection service
- Garden Waste
- Hazardous waste such as asbestos, diesel, petrol or other fuel oil, or fuel containers
- Explosive materials such as gas bottles or ammunition
- Fridges or freezers which are not empty (please take out any food or other items before we collect otherwise we will not be able to remove it or return on another date and we cannot give a refund)
- Very large items such as pianos, pool tables or commercial fridges/freezers
- Any other items which require specialist lifting equipment or may not fit in the collection vehicle
We take items to our Mochdre Household Recycling Centre (HRC) for processing, so if your item is restricted or banned under our HRC Policy then you will not be able to book the item for collection
How do I book a collection?
You can book a bulky waste collection online using our payment portal.
Pick the right option for your collection and pay for it, then the collection team will contact you to confirm a convenient date. You can also call the Environment Advice Team on 01492 575337, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us here.
To claim your free collection, phone our Customer advice team on 01492 575337. This free collection is not available to book on our online form.
If you need to change your booking, please do this no later than 2 working days before your collection date by calling our customer advice team on 01492 575337.
How soon will my items be collected?
Once the items have been booked in and paid for, our collections team will telephone you to give you a collection date. The collection date will be within 15 working days of receiving of payment.
What do I need to do on my collection day?
You need to make sure the items are outside the front of your property for 08:00 on your collection day. If the weather is bad, please cover the items if you can.
All items will be collected between 08:00 and 17:00. Please note that we cannot provide a specific time. You do not need to wait in for the collection team if your items are easily visible and clearly accessible.
If your items are not left outside ready on the collection day, we cannot return on another date and we cannot give a refund.
IMPORTANT: The collection team will not enter your property to remove items, and they are not qualified to disconnect any services. If you need help to bring the items to the front of your property you should ask a relative or friend to help you get your items ready for collection.
If you have any questions or comments about our Bulky Waste Collection service, please contact us.
Reuse - how to avoid landfill