Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Social Care and Wellbeing Adults Housing Options for Older People

Housing Options for Older People

Summary (optional)
If you or someone you know is thinking about moving to sheltered housing, extra care housing or into a care home, we can help you consider your options.
start content

Extra Care Housing

Extra care housing gives people over the age of sixty an opportunity to live in their own home and to access support from an on-site dedicated team 24 hours per day.

You live in your own self-contained property, not in a residential home, and you have your own front door, so you can decide who comes in.

If an assessment of your needs identifies you are eligible for support, you will receive this from the on-site team. The type and amount of support you receive will change as your needs change over time.

Benefits of extra care housing

  • couples and friends can stay together
  • you keep your independence
  • you can join in social activities
  • you have control over your finances
  • you have security and peace of mind
  • you have a home for life as long as it is safe and practicable.

There are four extra care housing schemes in Conwy run by local housing associations in partnership with the local authority and the local health board:

Sheltered housing

If you are aged 55 or over you can apply for sheltered housing.  This type of housing usually consists of studio apartments, one or two bedroom flats or bungalows. These homes are linked to a 24-hour emergency alarm call system to the warden during office hours and to the Careline Control Centre at all other times

Sheltered housing has designated wardens, who provide advice, make sure you are managing, help you to organise any help you need, and help you to sort out any problems. Sheltered housing can help you to live independently, and bring you into a community. Some have communal activities and communal lounges so that people can have company when wanted and privacy when it isn’t.

To apply for Sheltered Housing visit Conwy Housing or phone 0300 124 0050.

Care homes

Care homes provide comfortable accommodation with trained staff on hand to look after your needs day and night.

There are two types of care home:

  • Residential care homes with trained staff who can offer you the same type of care that you would receive from relatives and friends;
  • Nursing homes which provide the same level of care as residential care homes, but also have trained nurses on duty to provide skilled nursing care when you need it.

How to find or apply to live in a care home

If you or someone you care for is thinking about making a care home your permanent place of residence, contact us in the first instance. We can talk you through the assessment process and how to choose a care home. You can also get some tips and advice on how to choose a care home.

The Care Inspectorate Wales website is also a good resource. You can search for care homes according to your needs, for example, by location or whether you require nursing care.

Do I have to pay?

You may need to make a contribution towards the cost of living in a care home, depending on your financial situation. We will arrange a financial assessment to establish what costs, if any, you will need to pay. We will also make sure you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to.

Find information about local organisations and services offered within the county on the Dewis website:

end content