We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Support at home

Summary (optional)
Keeping your independence and helping you live at home is very important to us and we have trained therapists and assessors who can support you to improve your abilities and do as much as you can for yourself.
start content

Who can get help?

  • Help is available for people over the age of 18 who live in Conwy, and who need practical help due to frailty or illness, sight or hearing loss, physical or learning disabilities.

How do I get help?

  • If you believe that you or someone you care for needs assistance to improve your wellbeing or if you have any needs or impairment which creates problems with daily life you should contact us. We will then assess your needs.
  • In order to work out how much help is needed, we will need to carry out an assessment. This is simply a conversation with a social care practitioner that will help us to understand what help and support you might need to live independently in your own home.
  • The assessment is usually a chat in your own home, and we’re very happy if you have a friend, carer or relative with you. If you are in hospital we will come and talk to you before you are discharged, to discuss any help you might need in the home whilst you are recovering.
  • The assessment is a two-way conversation. We will ask you to tell us about yourself, and how you think we can help and support you. We might also ask the opinion of other professionals who know and work with you, like your doctor, but we will only do this with your permission. We will also take into account the needs of your family or carer.

What happens next?  

  • When your practical needs have been assessed by one of our social care practitioners, we can put together a short term care package that will give you practical help and support to regain or improve your independence. We call this ‘reablement’. Many people who have come to us for help find that a period of reablement is all they need to regain their independence. However, we may agree that you have on-going care needs, even after a period of reablement. This could include a care worker calling to help you get in and out of bed, move around from room to room, and help you to use the toilet or bath if needed.
  • After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you, and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to your own individual situation.
  • We will continually assess your needs to see if there are any tasks that you are still struggling with and require support for.
  • You will also have a financial assessment to find out if you have to pay anything towards the cost of your ongoing support needs.
  • If you are not happy with the outcome of the assessment you can ask us to look at your situation again with you.
  • If you are still not happy, you can contact us to make a comment, suggestion or complaint.
  • If you are not eligible for on-going help from us, we will give you information and advice on other services that are available to help you continue to live independently.

See also:

  • You may also find our Help, Advice and Benefits section useful in relation to any financial assistance you may be entitled to.
  • If you have a disability you might be able to get an adaptation in your home, known as a Disabled Facilities Adaptation. In many cases, the Council can help eligible households with the cost of an adaptation, but only when the need has been agreed by an Occupational Therapist.
  • You may also want to find out more about arranging your own care.
end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more