Everybody has the right to be safe, no matter who they are or what their circumstances are. Safeguarding is about protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from abuse or neglect. We are all responsible for the safety of the most vulnerable members of our society.
We have a statutory duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, in line with the Children's Act 2004.
The key outcomes for improving the wellbeing of children from conception to adulthood, includes the requirement that children live in a safe environment, and that they are protected from harm.
The Welsh Government has seven core aims around safeguarding children. They aim to make sure that all children:
- have a flying start in life
- have a comprehensive range of education and learning opportunities
- enjoy the best possible health and are free from abuse, victimisation and exploitation
- have access to play, leisure, sporting and cultural activities
- are listened to, treated with respect, and have their race and cultural identity recognised
- have a safe home and a community which supports physical and emotional wellbeing
- Are not disadvantaged by poverty.
If you are concerned about the safety or welfare of a child, please let us know.
We have a statutory duty to prevent and reduce the risk of significant harm to vulnerable adults from abuse or other types of exploitation. We must also support individuals in maintaining control over their lives, and in making informed choices without coercion.
Adults who need safeguarding help are often elderly and frail, living on their own in the community, or without much family support in care homes. They are often people with physical or learning disabilities and people with mental health needs at risk of suffering harm.
Safeguarding adults encompasses six key concepts:
- proportionate responses
If you are a vulnerable adult experiencing abuse or neglect, or if you are concerned that a vulnerable adult is or might be experiencing abuse or neglect, please tell us about it. Find out how to tell us about suspected adult abuse or neglect.
Welsh Government – Safeguarding