What is the ARAP Scheme?
The UK Government established a bespoke resettlement scheme this year for current and former Locally Employed Staff in Afghanistan. This scheme has been established by the Home Office and Ministry of Defence.
The Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) launched on 1 April 2021. Under the policy, any current or former locally employed staff who are assessed to be under serious threat to life are offered priority relocation to the UK regardless of their employment status, rank or role, or length of time served.
Full details of the scheme have been published on GOV.UK.
Are Conwy County Borough Council accepting families under the ARAP scheme?
Yes. We will be providing accommodation for one family from Afghanistan. The family will be supported when they arrive to ensure that they have all that they need. The family will receive support from appropriate services depending on their needs.
How many families will be accommodated?
At the moment it has been agreed that Conwy County Borough will rehouse one family from Afghanistan.
Where will the families be accommodated?
For security reasons we cannot provide information on where the families will be accommodated.
Can I make a donation?
Unfortunately we cannot accept donations or packages. Please contact the British Red Cross / UNICEF if you would like to make a donation - Afghanistan Crisis Appeal | British Red Cross / Afghanistan crisis: donate now - Unicef UK
I have an empty property I’d like to offer.
Please contact Conwy Housing Solutions on 0300 124 0050 or email@example.com
It would be helpful to include the following information for our consideration:
- Address of property, including postcode.
- Type of property (House, flat, etc.)
- Property capacity (how many people can the house accommodate)
- Number of stairs leading up to the property (Helps identify suitability for those with limited mobility and young babies).
- Wheelchair accessible?
- Can any adaptations be made? (Handrails, etc.)
- Outline of rooms downstairs and outline of rooms upstairs (to identify layout of property and any issues with bathroom/bedrooms?
- Are there any rooms that can take extra beds? (A second reception room might be able to be turned into a bedroom downstairs)
For more information, please follow this link Written Statement: A distinctive Welsh response to the Afghanistan evacuation (26 August 2021) | GOV.WALES