This is Phase 2b of the Colwyn Bay Waterfront Project which has been improving coastal defences and public spaces along the Bay of Colwyn coast since 2011.
This consultation closed on 9 September 2022
Read the consultation feedback
We are improving the coastal defences by importing approximately 1 million tonnes of sand to place in front of the existing seawall. This will protect the seawall and the properties and infrastructure behind it from the continued threat of the sea and accepted climate change levels.
The imported sand will form the primary sea defence along this section of the coast, while also being an attractive beach to enjoy at all times of the tide. The coastal works also include extending a number of outfalls down to the lower beach, and modifying a rock groyne next to Rhos Harbour. The finished groyne will be higher and wider, and will have a new arm added to create a fish tail design.
As part of the project, the Council has designed improvements to the promenade, including play areas, a shared pedestrian and cycle route, a seaside pedestrian-only walkway, and new kiosks, shelters and picnic areas.
These community benefits rely on having the space of a wider promenade, which means the Council’s proposals include making a section of West Promenade one-way.
The scheme will take 12 months to complete, which means that we would be working through one summer season whenever we started work. There are also practical and environmental reasons for carrying out the beach nourishment work over the summer, such as needing calm seas, and avoiding the over wintering birds season. We expect the new promenade to be ready and open in summer 2023.
The total cost of the project is £20m. The work is 85% funded through the Welsh Government’s Coast Risk Management Programme, with Conwy County Borough Council funding the remaining 15%.
Over the next set of pages you will see details of the:
The consultation closed on 9 September 2022.
- improvements planned for the promenade, which need extra width
- safety concerns on West Promenade
- road options we considered to get a wider promenade
- proposed road layout