We use cookies to make this site simpler. By browsing our pages you are accepting our use of cookies. Find out more on our cookies and privacy page.
Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Parking, Roads and Travel Roads and Pavements Dropped Kerbs (Section 184 Agreements)

Dropped Kerbs (Section 184 Agreements)

Summary (optional)
start content

We are responsible for permitting construction of dropped kerbs (also known as vehicular crossings, vehicular accesses or crossovers) for domestic and industrial use, and only applies to land that is part of the public highway. It is your responsibility to obtain any other permissions that are required. You are strongly advised to check there is no intervening land between your property and the highway boundary.

Planning Permission - is it required?

You will need to contact the Planning Department (Regulatory Services, PO Box 1. Conwy LL30 9GN) to check if planning permission is required. All accesses onto classified roads will require planning permission together with those that do not have permitted development rights. We will not permit a new access until planning permission is granted where this is required by the Planning Department.

Can you refuse my application?

Yes, if the crossing would be in an unsafe place. This could be at a junction, a place where it would be difficult to be seen or a bus stop.

The area must also have a minimum dimension of 4.8 metres by 2.6 metres within the curtilage of the property (with the longest length perpendicular to the highway).

How long does it take for an application to go through?

When we receive your completed application form together with all the requested information (and confirmation of planning permission if it is needed) you should allow 4 weeks for the application to go through. You then have 6 months to complete the work, after this the approval will lapse and you'll need to re apply. Standard construction details will be given if approved.

Who is responsible for the pipes and cables buried underground?

You are responsible for all costs associated with constructing the vehicular crossing. If any of the pipes or cables need to be moved or lowered, you are also responsible for the extra cost.

How will I know if the work is satisfactory?

To make sure the work meets relevant specifications we carry out inspections, the cost of which are included in the fee. If, within 2 years, a fault occurs then the contractor is required to repair it.

Your rights

Please note construction of a dropped kerb outside your property does not give you any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to your property. The crossing is part of the public highway.

Vehicle crossings during footway works

Provided requests are received in good time, it may be possible to include the provision of a dropped kerb if and when we are undertaking highway reconstruction work outside your property. There will be small charge for this service.

How to apply

Please contact our Development Control Section on 01492 575337 or e-mail erf@conwy.gov.uk for further advice and guidance on the specification to use. If emailing please fill subject box with “Application for information on: Dropped Kerbs (Section 184 Agreements)”.

end content

Find your nearest schools, hospitals, council services and more