- It is a legal requirement to register any premises used to operate a food business. This includes charities, market stalls, delivery vehicles and other mobile food businesses.
- You will also need to consider whether your premises needs to be approved. For example if you make, prepare or handle food of animal origin for supply to other businesses.
- It is also your responsibility to inform us of any changes to the business, the activities or if the business is closing, within 28 days of the change.
How to register
If you own or have taken over a food business in Conwy, it is a legal requirement to register your business with us at least 28 days before opening or taking ownership. This can be done by applying online or by post.
- There is no fee involved to register a food business.
Advice and Guidance
- Before registering your business we recommend you visit the Food Standards Agency website. They offer lots of information for food businesses of all types.
- You will also be required to have a food safety management system based on HACCP principles in place.
- A new business advice visit can also be arranged with an officer from the team (prior to opening), to ensure the structure, layout and systems proposed are appropriate for the business.
Processing & Timescales
- Once you have registered, you will receive confirmation in writing and an inspection will be carried out usually within 28 days. Based on the initial inspection you will receive a food hygiene rating based on the findings.
- The business details will also be entered onto a public register (business name and address, type of business).
Food Safety Team
- If you would like further advice or help please contact us
PO Box 1