We know it can be challenging coping with all the demands of being a parent. Family life isn’t always easy.
Something to try if you are at the end of your tether!
- Make sure your child is in a safe place.
- Remember you are the adult
- Create a distraction to calm the situation or walk away from the argument.
- Take a few deep breaths. Count to 50 or recite the alphabet - something that focusses your mind!
- Do some stretching – exercise is great for relieving stress.
- Make yourself a cuppa and relax.
- Congratulate yourself on not hitting out.
- Remember the special things about your child and talk about them later.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Phone a friend, a relative or the Conwy Family Life team.
- It’s important to take 5 because if you lose your cool it’s going to make the situation worse.
- Stop, breathe and reacted calmly.
- There’s lots of help available for families and ideas for parents on other ways to set boundaries for children.
- Read our leaflet: Making it positive - Alternatives to Smacking Children (PDF, 785KB)
Why not visit these webpages for more ideas:
If you see a child being physically punished, or if you are concerned about a child, contact social services on 01492 575111
or ring 999
if the child is in immediate danger.